You’ve probably started to notice decorations around your neighborhood and candy front and center in your local grocery store which means Halloween is nearly upon us. One of the most treasured nights on the calendar for kids of all ages, Halloween is a great chance for families to spend time together trick or treating. While fun, Halloween night can pose certain dangers for kids. That’s why we’re writing today to share some easy and effective tips for parents to help ensure a happy and healthy Halloween for the whole family.
- Make sure your child’s costume is bright and reflective so it may be seen by other trick or treaters and passing cars.
- Ensure all costumes are the right size to prevent trips and falls.
- Beware of masks or helmets that may obstruct a kid’s vision. Safe face paint can be a good alternative.
- Make sure all costume accessories (swords, knives, etc…) are made of safe material and are not sharp or dangerous to avoid injury.
- Kids under 12 should be accompanied by an adult while trick or treating.
- For older kids, establish a pre-planned route, curfew and protocol.
- Kids who trick or treat without adult supervision should be coached to not talk to strangers, enter stranger’s homes or cars or eat unwrapped treats.
- Carrying flashlights with fresh batteries is always recommended while trick or treating after dark.
- Teach kids to stay on sidewalks (if available) instead of walking in the street or through people’s yards.
- Applying reflective tape or striping to costumes and trick-or-treat bags can increase visibility.
- Sort through your kid’s treats before they start eating to ensure all treats are safe.
- For younger kids, beware of certain treats that can be choking hazards.
- Throw away any candy that is already opened or partially opened.
- Don’t let kids eat too much candy at once to prevent stomach aches. Ration appropriately.
- Beware of allergies (nuts especially).
Following these Halloween safety steps can help provide peace of mind to parents and allow kids have a safe and special night they’ll never forget. For more information on child safety, please contact Children’s Wellness Center today. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter & YouTube for updates, news, calendar events and more.Tags: Children’s Wellness Center Atlanta, Halloween Atlanta, Halloween safety Atlanta, street safety Atlanta